Jamit Software Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2018, 09:49:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
May 27th, 2009 - Jamit Software Launches the forum today!
3,080 Posts in 791 Topics by 1,441,173 Members
Latest Member: lzcxykuuvxc
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Jamit Software Forum
|-+  Jamit Job Board Customers
| |-+  User-to-User Support
| | |-+  The New Jamit 4
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: The New Jamit 4  (Read 37307 times)
szabcsee
Jammers

« on: December 03, 2012, 11:56:53 am »

Hi Guys!

As probably we are in the same shoes I thought it would be wise to work out together our contingency plan of how to make the best out of this situation that we have been left alone with our loved Jamit job board which bleeds from many wounds and would badly require future development.

My job board is lingojob.com it's a language job board in Hungary also has been integrated to jobg8.

I have talked to my developer to check the status of jamit and see how much is the cost of further improvements.

The status is that jamit needs several security fixes, it does not follow standards, has spaghetti code, probably performance-wise also not very good, the template system is chaotic and need to build a template from scratch. Need to get the URL rewrite fixed as it still does not work with characters with accents. This is just a quick overview I don't know much about what is in the depth.

Possible solutions:

1. Another job board: I have talked to smart job boards and they say they have a very good engine with good plugins but all cost a lot and the migration of jamit to smart is around 2-300 dollars. All together with a decent template (which I can build myself) it would cost around a 1000 dollars to migrate to smart job board

2. New job board: Currently I'm looking into possibilities to develop a new job board from scratch with the same features of jamit, latest technologies etc. Probably that would be a fortune but It would be just as I want.

3. Continue with Jamit: I think it does require deeper analysis but it could be a solution to continue with Jamit and gradually rewrite it from scratch, keep what works, add new features etc.

4. Other alternatives: Investigate for similar job boards on the market maybe there are good solutions there.

Please do add your ideas, plans and let's find the best solution together to solve this situation with the abandoned Jamit.

What do you think? Huh
Imran
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:41:48 am »

Hi szabcsee, Thanks for your effort and analysis.

Even I'm involved with Jamit Job board for one of my website, I feel it is better to hire some developers, and pool in required money from Jamit users and develope a new version which is compatible for latest PHP and MySql and also has good security.

If Smart job board, has a good development + Active development, Migrating from JJB to Smart Job board is a good option, if the url structure that we already have can be maintained. Also need to migrate the users their profile (Resume with customer fields).

Developing a new job board from scratch will take lot of effort and money.

EDIT: I looked at Smart Job board, it looks very promising and has lot of features, can you confirm it takes only 200-300$? for migration from jjb? as I see SmartJobboard license it self costs 400+ $.

Let us get some good JJB users and see what they say
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:11:46 am by Imran » Logged
Amjad
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:49:59 pm »

Hello Guys,
As szabcsee said we all suffering from the death of JJB ,the options mentioned by szabcsee are good but first,migrating to SJB is a risky option cuz we are using different encoding ,second there is a risk that SJB may stop supporting their software as Adam did,re developing JJB maybe the good option .

im currently working on converting the encoding to UTF8 and adding few features to the software.i hope to finish from these issues very soon .

i want ask you dear about the any security issues you know about the latest version,also what version of php and mysql does the latest JJB version is compatible?
note: im still using 3.53 version and its run under PHP Version 5.3.1 .
what php and mysql versions should the software run under?

Imran
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:58:39 am »

Dear Amjad, Glad you are contributing to JJB, Hope you will share your work with us, Latest php is 5.4 but 5.3 is just fine as this version will be supported for quite some time before 5.4 becomes the standard, but it is better to have a more robust and secure version with enhanced features.

I suggest we all put some money and hire a good Sr. Developer, so that some of the bugs/errors can be eliminated and continue using JJB, as SJB is more expensive 400+ $ for owned license and 99$ for yearly update plus 49$ monthly for Technical support, and Every plugin has some price.. But SJB I think has some good team, without the team it is difficult to develop so many features and maintain them, if it is a single developer then the end result of sjb can be predicted.
dabesa
Jammers

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 02:06:05 pm »

Hi guys,

Personally I'm switching to SmartJobBoard.
I'm working on a migration tool from Jamit, who's potentially interested?

Cheers

Imran
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:32:02 am »

Hi dabesa, Please let me know the cost of migration and also if the migration. As I see the SJB is bit expensive, but if they provide constant updates and continue the development it is ok to pay 99$ a year.
CompuDave
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:11:14 am »

I have been running SmartJobBoard on a small test site for the last year and am very happy with it. I will be switching over to SJB in a few weeks. The problem is that the two systems are not compatible so migrating to the new software will mean starting from scratch.

I would be very interested in the migration tool dabesa, please keep me informed.

Dave.
avisdjamal
Jammers

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 02:38:51 pm »

I have a license  the SJB and I need the migration tool too. Please remind me if you want share or sale that script
wclang
Jammers

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 08:26:25 pm »

Is it just me or does SmartJobBoard seem like a very heavily modified version of Jamit Job Board? I poked around the front-end and back-end and it seems awfully similar just modified a lot. Am I wrong on this; I ask because I think it would be a huge disservice to Adam that someone modified the code and is reselling it as their own (then again he did make this open source now...)

Oh well, not sure what I'm gonna do... I may just stick with Jamit since it works great on my host and its so easy customize.

-wclang
SecureAspects
Jammers

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 05:22:37 pm »

I am in whatever you guys go for count me in to chip in. If someone could write a converter for Smartjobboard or start fresh and import the latest version to where I would not lose 26000 memberships that would be awesome.

I can be contacted directly at [email protected]
fujipadam
Jammers

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 05:02:39 pm »

It seems quite a bit more expensive than jamit and still doesn't use php5 - so it's not object oriented. How has the performance been for SJB? does it seem to handle traffic well?

Fuji
Imran
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 06:40:01 am »

I know couple of websites that run on drupal, and handle good traffic, one website gets lot of traffic. Now I'm sure there must be a way to implement this? is any one interested in having a look at them? I will send the urls via pm?

Just check this drupal simple job theme: themesnap.com/theme-demos/job-now/
Edit: Also have a look at appthemes.com/themes/jobroller/
and its plugins: marketplace.appthemes.com/plugins/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:34:50 am by Imran » Logged
SecureAspects
Jammers

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 12:29:46 am »

Its been fun and I would like to thank the folks associated with and behind the scenes at Jamit for providing the assistance they have over the last 6 years. I have decided to just pay the money and have everything migrated to a new platform.

Thanks

Frank
Imran
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 06:26:09 am »

SecureAspects, What platform have you decided? Let us know how it all goes?
SecureAspects
Jammers

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 12:35:43 pm »

I went with smartjobboard, and they said they have done several imports  and converts from Jamit. We will see how it goes, so far I have been quoted up to $800 for the convert and this does not include the price of the software.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: