Jamit Software Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2019, 07:07:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
May 5th, 2010 - Jamit Software Launches the Market!
3,080 Posts in 791 Topics by 1,590,484 Members
Latest Member: paulnation87
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Jamit Software Forum
|-+  Jamit Job Board Customers
| |-+  User-to-User Support
| | |-+  Error Messages
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Error Messages  (Read 3415 times)
CompuDave
Global Moderator

« on: June 21, 2010, 09:37:58 am »

My host (Bluehost) has been having a lot of problems lately. They say it is due to upgrades. Anyway, during these periods I get the following message when accessing my site:

It looks like there was a database error. (Couldn't connect to server. ) - Please go to the Main Configuration and check your MySQL settings or report this error to the webmaster: [email protected]
Need Help? See the documentation here: http://www.jamit.com/docs.htm or try the support system here http://www.jamit.com.au/support/

This is what my users see and because Bluehost is based in the states, this shit happens during my busiest time of the day.

Does anyone know how to edit this message to something more appropriate?
Peter
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:26:58 am »

I have no experience with Bluehost, but over the years I tried a number of outfits from those very cheap to more expensive ones. I ended up with a BIG and solid company, GoDaddy.

When it comes to hosting, you can't be cheap.

I pay $35/month for VPS, which is effectively a dedicated server, although it is not advertised as such. It's blazing fast!

The error message you see is very important for your benefit. It should not be edited. It means that JB is unable to connect to your database.

If it is indeed caused by your host, I'd fire them today.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:35:25 am by Peter » Logged

SECURE your site BEFORE you wish you had! Use plugins by COLOSSAL MIND!
Banenpak
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:23:31 am »

Hello CompuDave,

Perhaps this is something for you: http://www.leaseweb.com
They are not expensive, fast, good references and they host prominent company's.
They have a good helpdesk ( live ) when you have questions / need help for something.

Never problems.

Greetings,

John de Vries

CompuDave
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:43:30 am »

Peter, I appreciate the value of the error message. My problem is that I do not want it displayed to the public as such. The links to Jamit docs and support is of no concern to the general public and I would prefer they not see this.

Sending this error message to the administrator or internal error logs makes sense but not displayed for public view. The first line would be more than enough info to display.
Peter
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:39:34 pm »

I understand you point.

However, if you switch off 'error reporting', you are likely to miss some very critical errors and you may end up with catastrophic failure of your server.

This is a very valid reason and I agree with Adam that he designed JB to do such error reporting.

SECURE your site BEFORE you wish you had! Use plugins by COLOSSAL MIND!
Imran
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 06:38:05 am »

Open db.php at the end edit the error message.
I hope this helps.
CompuDave
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:15:38 am »

Thanks Imran, the db.php is what I was looking for. I have removed the second line including Jamit links from the message.
lee
Jammers

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »

If anyone has a problem like this the easiest way to find source code or text is to get hold of a copy of Dreamweaver and download your Db to your desktop, With dreamweaver you can search your full db in seconds and find what code or text you are looking for
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: